Share This Page:

Training/Getting Fitter - HELP PLEASE

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
raf_Sam

Training/Getting Fitter - HELP PLEASE

Post by raf_Sam »

Hi Guys,

Not being 100% up on fitness and the best exercises, I’ve made the following to get me in shape for my RAF officers application.

Please bear in mind I have little time to get to a gym so I’ve made this up with myself, a bike and 2 x 5kg weights.

Alternate daily between 20min jog and 40min cycle with Sunday off, as well as;
50 bicep curls
Max sit-ups in 1min
Straight leg ups
Man push-ups in 1min
Duck squats
Max bench push-ups
Standing tricep curls
Concentration bicep curls;

All daily with Sunday off.

My aim is to get fitter, tone up and lose my ‘puppy fat’ – will the above achieve it?

Any ideas/feed back is very much appreciated.

Thanks
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Drop all the curls, you won't need them for selection. You definitely don't need to be doing 50 curls with 5kg weights :o . That's the kind of weight women use to get rid of their bingo wings.

Stick to bodyweight mate :wink: .
eroo

Training

Post by eroo »

first off,DONT do the weights/bodyweight exercises everyday as you may do more harm than good.every second day!forget cycling.run at least 3(max 5) times for a period of 30 mins.this will get your cardio in good shape and it will burn more fat than cycling.only do the weights 3 times a week(muscle tissue needs time to repair!) and,maybe,use cycling ONLY as a supplementary form of exercise,this means dont push yourself!alternatively you could use swimming instead of cycling.this should be done on your day off.one last thing,if you wanna lose weight while getting fitter,eat good food.eat 6 times a day(3 meals+3 healthy snacks),eating something every 2 hours.also,drink 3 litres of water a day!dont skip meals!your body needs energy so dont deprive it of any.go to your unit PTI and ask em what food to eat and not eat.
hope this helps,and good luck!
-eroo
jammin87

Post by jammin87 »

Some good tips, but listen to Addiction - bin the weights - at 5kg you might as well only use them to add weight to dips and pull ups etc. I've always found with all exercise if I'm eating enough of the right foods, I can train more or less every day, be it cardio, bodyweight circuits or proper weight training (usually focusing on different parts though). Also, on the cycling - if you're finding it does you good in your training then you don't need to sack it, just make sure you're still able to run well. Make sure you're drinking enough water so as not to feel thirsty, but don't just gulp down 3 litres a day for the sake of it. If you're training a lot each day there's a chance you might need it - only you'll be able to judge that.
adz3276

Post by adz3276 »

hey mate if you want me to write something out for you ill help. just give me an email or private message its not a problem :)
Want to Join as a PTI

1.5 mile: 10:00
P-UP: 55
S-up: 60

To get to your Impossible you've got to start somewhere.You've got to start with that first big, really important step.
raf_Sam

Post by raf_Sam »

Mate that would be awesome - PM on its way!
azard9330

Post by azard9330 »

if i wrere you id buy a pull up bar its an awesome excercise and requyires basicaly nothing and is also realy benificial.
psychometric test- passed
eye test- passed
interview- passed
medical- passed
pjft- passed
prmc- passed
rt- 5th of november
B_H100

Post by B_H100 »

Those push up bars from Argos (about a fiver) are pretty good as well. They are made so that you can go lower than with a conventional push up, possibly making faster progress.

Of course, you actually have to use them not just buy them lol.
adz3276

Post by adz3276 »

this is only a personal opinion BUT i dont actually like anything that will take your body past its natural movement. its not good for the shoulders stability. :-? :-?

i personally wouldnt buy those bars.

nose to the floor is far enough :) :)
Want to Join as a PTI

To get to your Impossible you've got to start somewhere.You've got to start with that first big, really important step.
B_H100

Post by B_H100 »

Hey, ta for the info never knew that.
adz3276

Post by adz3276 »

not a problem dude any others you find just ask
Want to Join as a PTI