Share This Page:

Training Advice

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Chris Gray

Training Advice

Post by Chris Gray »

Good Afternoon guys.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on my current weekely training scedule.

Sunday -
Morning - I do a circuit of - 20 Situps, 20 Dorsal Raises, 10 Press-Ups, 20 Tricep Dips followed by 40 Step-Ups and I repeat that 3 times.
Evening - 8mile Cross Country Walk

Monday -
Morning - I do a circuit of - 20 Situps, 20 Dorsal Raises, 10 Press-Ups, 20 Tricep Dips followed by 40 Step-Ups and I repeat that 3 times.
Evening - 3 mile run

Tuesday -

Wednesday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Thursday-

Friday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Saturday-
Evening - Do some weight training at my local gym, and about 10mins on the cycle machine.

I run the 3miles in about 17 - 18 mins
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Pretty good to say your going for aerial erector. Just keep going with it. 8)
Nick
mfat_man

Re: Training Advice

Post by mfat_man »

Chris Gray wrote:Good Afternoon guys.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on my current weekely training scedule.

Sunday -

Monday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Tuesday -

Wednesday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Thursday-

Friday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Saturday-
Evening - Do some weight training at my local gym, and about 10mins on the cycle machine.

Chris

Good to see you are keeping fit 8)

But hell that looks a bit boring to me! Why not add some swimming? Or biking... I presume they also have a simming test of some sort.

Also what about some chin-ups, flys etc to build upper body strenght.

Cheers

John
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

nickosx wrote:Pretty good to say your going for aerial erector. Just keep going with it. 8)
With that schedule the Rock Apes will grab him LOL! :lol:
Chris Gray

Post by Chris Gray »

When I go to RAF Halton I want to be able to go there and not just scrape past in Physical Tests. I want to be the best, What is needed in my training to prepare myself.

What kind of markers should I push myself to.

Many Thanks.
Chris Gray

Post by Chris Gray »

mfat_man wrote:

Sunday -

Monday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Tuesday -

Wednesday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Thursday-

Friday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Saturday-

Chris

But hell that looks a bit boring to me! Why not add some swimming? Or biking... I presume they also have a simming test of some sort.

Cheers

John
Good point, thanks Chin - Ups, ill fix somthing up in the garage tonight. Sorry to sound a bit dense but what are flys ?
rc

Post by rc »

When I go to RAF Halton I want to be able to go there and not just scrape past in Physical Tests. I want to be the best, What is needed in my training to prepare myself.
If you're running 3 mile in 17 to 18 minutes i'm sure you'll be fittest.

Rich.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Chris Gray wrote:
mfat_man wrote:

Sunday -

Monday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Tuesday -

Wednesday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Thursday-

Friday -
Evening - 3 mile run

Saturday-

Chris

Cheers

John
Good point, thanks Chin - Ups, ill fix somthing up in the garage tonight. Sorry to sound a bit dense but what are flys ?
Chris

When you lay down on a bench with some dumbells, put your arms up straight and the out to the side so your body and arms are in a "cross" position.

DON'T overdo the weight or you will fark up your muscles very easily but get it right and your lats (chest muscle) will impess the ladies... ha ha

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/At ... mbbell.jsp

Even found in 3d for ya!
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

ok, i understand wanting to be the fittest and all, but then why dont you try doing a more physically demanding job than aerial erector, like raf regiment. Doing a 3 mile run in 17-18 mins is quite good really
Nick
rc

Post by rc »

DON'T overdo the weight or you will fark up your muscles very easily but get it right and your lats (chest muscle) will impess the ladies... ha ha
I think you mean Pecs (pectorials) mate. :lol:

Rich.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

rc wrote:
I think you mean Pecs (pectorials) mate. :lol:

Rich.
:oops: Doh!
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

That regime should easily see you through Halton - trust me, i've been there. PT ain't really that difficult there - not compared to where i am now.

Just spice it up a bit, try new things. Swimming would be a good choice as you do a fair bit of it at Halton, as well as the airman swimming test - 2 lengths in CS95 clothing. If you're not strong at swimming, get cracking with it now. The things they concentrate on are chest, bicep, tricep and aerobice exercises - doing heaves at the side of a pool ain't much fun if your triceps are no good.

Also, with regards to the run - now you have a good time on the 3 mile run, try getting a rucksack on your back with some weight on it - don't aim to run as fast as you do without it - fast walk if you have to, but it's good to get some weight-carrying practice in before you go - it'll help for the GDT phase. Also, start pushing your distance for running up to about 5 or 6 miles - running at 3 miles all the time ain't gonna make you any fitter, you need to push your body a bit further now.

Also, i notice you don't have any rest days pencilled in there. You need to get these in or you run the risk of injuring yourself before you get there - thus ruling you out of RTS altogether. You should only be training every other day, really.
Stu-

Post by Stu- »

I dont want to stifle you rizzar but I wouldnt recommend anyone to train with weight on their back like that.

You dont need to get used to running with weight, that is built up in training isnt it? (I mean basic training)

The lad seems fit enough at the moment, 17-18 mins is very good 3 mile time (treadmill or road?)

Swimming is a superb idea, non impact and really works muscles you dont know you have!

Aerial erector does sound a bit boring, but all to their own! :D
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

I'm not saying run with it, just get used to carrying it. No matter how fit you are, if you ain't used to it, it will bother you. Why wait 'til he gets to Halton for that, when he can do it now ?

I can tell you from personal experience that he will be doing a 1.5m run at Halton with weapon, bergen, webbing etc...after having around 4 hours sleep in a 48 hour period.

Good luck to the guy if he agrees with you that getting used to carrying a bergen is not important.

Overall though, i agree, he's easily fit enough to cope with the PEd at Halton - by miles. PEd there is nothing really.