Share This Page:

AAAHHH! Damn Knee Ligaments

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
wannabe_rock

AAAHHH! Damn Knee Ligaments

Post by wannabe_rock »

I am so gutted! I was progressing very nicely with my fitness, training hard, pushin myself harder everytime i trained! Untill saturday! I have damaged my medial cruciate ligament playing rugby! The hospital have decided to say they can't tell exactly what i have done untill they see me again on friday! I cant even put any weight on my leg, to make things worse the A&E department decided it would be detrimental to my recovery to give me crutches! As a result i am now almost 100% immobile, apart from my odd hop around the house. I have been told it could take me months before i can train again never mind play rugby again!

This has put one almighty proverbial spanner in the works!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

sh*te mate, that sucks! man i was gonna get back into rugby myself in the next couple of weeks but after hearing this from you im really not sure as the whole fitness and prep thing for IOT is so important, i really don't want to blow by playing a bloody game of rugger (i do love the sport, but im thinkin of my career here), also was v keen on the idea of kick boxing but gemma has scared me off a wee bit from that due to possible injury, i dont know what to do. stay wrapped up in cotton wool or just risk it and do what i want to do.
i really feel for u buddy, try taking glucosamine sulphate as that helps majorly with joint issues and maybe omega 3 to help lubricate that knee a wee bit. are u using the R.I.C.E technique also as that helps recovery time. hope its not to serious mate. :(

rogue
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

That's bad news mate, i feel for you.

I've taken the decision to give up football for now, with only a month to go, it's just too risky.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

rogue0809 wrote:was v keen on the idea of kick boxing but gemma has scared me off a wee bit from that due to possible injury
Just the reason why I quit!

Wannabe_Rock - at my local gym they've got this weird machine that you sit on - it's like a bike but you do the cycling with your hands instead of your feet - is there any chance you could get on something like that so you don't lose cardiovascular fitness?
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Thanks for all your well wishes, ive hobbled into the gym today to do some upper body work, and seen the club physio. Unfortunately he thinks it will be 4 weeks before i can start running again, and possibly more than 6 before i can play again!

Oh so gutted!!

Once again thanks guys
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Gutted! I have seen the docs again and i have now got to wait 4 weeks to be put on a waiting list for an operation! The waiting list is currently over 2 months long, and they reckon it will take 6 weeks before i can run again! Thats like 4 1/2 months from now, and 5 months since the injury! I am screwed!!!

Looks like im not going to continue any kind of application untill April or May!! So Gutted!!!!!!

GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Best wishes for your recovery wannabe_rock.
gr4pilot

Post by gr4pilot »

Dude, that's bad news. I'm sorry to hear it - will you have to have the 12 month wait after the op?
Jx ;)
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Don't know about the wait; I am going to see the physio and coaches at the rugby club tomorrow and see if they can help me pay for a private op or even pay for me!

I can but hope im back in action sooner rather than later!!

wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

That is BADDD news, my mate did that playign rugby, had to have an op also to remove it I think, because apparently he nature of the ligament is that it never recovers properly or something like that. You will probably find even after recovery you may have a weakened knee for life. I'd get onto the blower to the AFCO and see what the score with this regarding medical clearance is?
P.s. good luck I know how frustrating the recovery tiem from an injury can be, you just itch to go for that run.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Itchin isnt't the word mate, my sister and brother-in-law are home now for xmas and he went out for a run the other day, I have never felt so jealous of someone or something! I am goin the gym and doin some upper body work and concentrating on reducing my body fat, but i am dying to exert some energy properly!

wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

How far along the recruiting process are you? My name is and old one, I have applied for RAF Reg. now, I just had my medical and interview yesterday, both went well I believe. But my bloody knees aren't playing the game, it's really depressing. Swimming costs so bloody much to.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

I am not very far along to be honest, i have sat the test, but after that i sent an application for aircraft tech away. That came back no, so decided to go to uni instead of opting for my 2nd choice - gunner. Wish i hadnt now, im hating uni so much it is untrue, but i thought spend the time gettin very very fit because i am not very fit now, then apply and try and rush through my application. Unfortunately i didnt account for knee injury!

Alex Himself

Post by Alex Himself »

hi wannabe, sorry to hear about your knee injury, on my flight at RTS there has been 4 people that have been reflighted due to injury, some back to day 1 some were lucky enough to go back to week 2.

2 people have knee injuries, the other were ankles.

its probably best that you wait until its 100% healed as you wont want to spend more than the minimum 9 weeks at RTS by being reflighted.

Hope your recovery is quick and hope you still join up when your back in business.

Alex