Share This Page:

IOT fitness test

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
rogue0809

IOT fitness test

Post by rogue0809 »

hey guys im back and back for good (for those who dont know i was in the states most of the time so couldnt chat ) yeeeehaaaaa!. anyway as things seem so slow here i thought i would ask a question about this and that to try and get things kick started again.
right well here goes.........
for the pre IOT fitness test, i was told before oasc and whilst at oasc that i would have to do a 1.5 mile run and a maximal 2 min press up and sit up test.
right, well now ive been fortunate enough to be accepted, in the letter sent about the fitness testing, it said that i will have to do another bleep test and only a 1 min maximal press up and sit up test, and no mention of the 1.5 mile run! can anyone shed some light on this? ill certainly prepare for all scenarios but would deffinately like to know what to expect, if you catch my drift. thanx
regards
rogue
mathilda

pre iot fitness test

Post by mathilda »

Hi,
Welcome back from the land of the ex colonials :) My letter stated that there would be a 1 min max press ups, 1 min max sit ups and a re-do bleep test. No mention at all of the 1.5 mile run. I phoned OASC and spoke to one of the PTIs who said it was just a redo bleep test during the fam visit and that they expected an improvement on your OASC results. He also said that there would be a 1.5 mile run at the beginning of IOT for streaming purposes. However, think I will take this with a pinch of salt!! I suppose if you expect the worst it's always a pleasant surprise when things aren't all that bad!
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

For the 1.5 mile run at the start of IOT are you looking at a time of roughly less than 9 minutes, or maybe less than 10 for the top stream?

Also, roughly how long do the unfit people take to get round - about 12.5 minutes or more?
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

cheers matilda and tjd, really appreciate that. but like gemma would def like to know what would be a good enough time to expect to get into A stream as that is something im really aiming for now. i can get under the 9 min mark (just) at the moment and hopefully will continue to improve on that.
also can anyone recommend a good training regime that would reflect well for IOT. im actually a personal trainer so have a decent idea what i should be trying to do but would appreciate all the advice and info i can get.
cheers

rogue
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

I'm actually going to ring up Cranwell and speak to a PTI (ask them what kind of phys ed we'll be doing), I reckon they'll be happy enough to give me the information as I'm obviously making a detemined effort to get fit if I'm planning this far ahead.

Probably going to do it tomorrow so I'll post if I manage to get anything.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

nice one gemma! thanx alot! also, do you think we should try and set up a sort of fitness diary for evryone so we can all monitor each others progress for those going into IOT soon? just an idea i thought i would throw at you guys!

rogue
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Well I'm beasting myself at the gym 5 times a week (well, the PT is beasting me but you get the picture). I asked if it was possible to get me up to 10 minutes for the 1.5 miles by may and I got a "quite possibly" (no raised eyebrows or anything) so it gives me hope. Will aim for A stream and if I get into B and beat most of the girls I'll be happy.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

TJD wrote:Good on you. From my IOT only 2 girls out of 40 got into the B stream!
Oooh, Challenge!!! I just don't think I could settle for anything less then what I'll be realistically capable of after 5 months hard training.

Will let you know how I get on....

EDIT: I've just had a thought - it's only really going to be the people who use forums/have RAF contacts and the people who've been recoursed who are going to know about the 1.5 mile run. Think about it - have you ever seen it on any of the paper work so far? I haven't (please correct me if i'm wrong someone). If the AFCO's haven't told everyone else they wont know until probably the fam visit.

This means that Rogue and I have an advantage as we know 5 months in advance and can prepare specifically for it.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

I rang up the Phys Ed Flight at Cranwell today. There wasn't really a lot they could tell me, but here's what I did get:

Running, max distance about 6.5 to 7 miles. There won't be any specific runs with weight on your back, but there will be walks and 'double time' with weight. So I reckon the best thing would be to get on the treadmill, with a backpack, on an incline and brisk walk/slow jog.

They couldn't really give me an answer for the 1.5 mile run time - max effort!

Best way to prepare for the bleep test is practising it, fartlek training & Anaerobic training.

Lots of press-ups and sit-ups.

There will be swimming so it's probably worth making sure you can do the 3 basic strokes competently.

Women will have to do full press-ups at some point - I think it's for one of the tests - so get practising! It's also worth being able to do a few chin-ups. Just try and really improve your overall upper body strength.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

hey gemma, i deffinately think we are going to have a slight advantage. cant believe there are no girls that get into A flight! the gauntlet has been thrown, i feel a challenge arising for our young gemma :D . if you can get under 10 mins then i reckon your in with every chance but even if you dont make it then it sounds like its going to be an achievement to get into B flight. i believe in ya!!!!!! :lol:

rogue
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Thanks Rogue :) - will do my best.
Here are the speeds in km/h on the treadmill required for various 1.5 mile running times. 1.5 miles = 2.42 km. the speeds have been rounded UP to the nearest 0.1 so they'll actually get you there slightly quicker. (a few seconds maybe). Thought this might be helpful:

Min.....km/h
13.0 - 11.2
12.5 - 11.6
12.0 - 12.1
11.5 - 12.6
11.0 - 13.2
10.5 - 13.8
10.0 - 14.5
9.5 - 15.3
9.0 - 16.1
8.5 - 17.1
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

hey gemma, thats a great help, very useful indeed. had an indian last night and feel a right porker, ate so much! have to get on that treadmill soon!!!!!!!!!

rogue