Share This Page:

ahhhh oasc!!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/t133424.html

Take yourself here - it will give you everything you need to know, along with all the threads regarding OASC in this forum.
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Also, there's lots of various threads in here that will help. Take your time to read thru' them carefully.

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=136
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Hey Jade - It's really possible to pass - just takes some effort and preparation.

Fitness test, 10 push-ups in a minute (full ones but with your hands on a couple of gym benches, one on top of the other about 24 ins off the ground - they're done at an angle to make it easier for women), 25 sit-ups in a minute and a bleep test score of 6.10. Beware that these are the minimum standard and you should aim for better.

Good luck! What Branch are you going for?

Gemma
gr4pilot

Post by gr4pilot »

the bench is slotted onto a support which looks like another bench, giving a little more than the hight of 2 stacked on top of each other.
Jx ;)
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Jade,

Imagine doing a standard, male press-up. Now imagine that the floor is inclined so you're doing them at about a 30 degree angle with your head higher than your feet. That's roughly what you do - the bench is stacked on top of another and you have your feet on the floor, body straight and your hands on the top bench. Your chest has to touch the bench every repetition.

I did OASC back in May 2005 and have been offered Air Traffic Control, starting IOT in May 2006.

Check your pm's - I've sent you one.

Gemma
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Don't cr*p yourself - they don't like that at OASC, makes a bit of a mess.

Glad you like the site - if you are going to use it though try not to use 'txt speak' it doesn't go down well. other than that it's great.

I picked 6 world and 6 domestic topics to learn, plus a brief overview of everything else going on in the world over a year (very brief). History of the RAF, basics of all the aircraft, brief NATO history, current RAF bases and deployments, IOT training and trade training. Most people will tell you that isn't enough - but I didn't get asked any questions I couldn't answer. I probably took a risk learning so little but I didn't want to blank on a simple question due to information overload.

I didn't find it particulary hard - but because it's kind of a thing where you do as well as you can and there's no set standard you have to meet it's tricky. It's like saying to someone run a mile in as quick a time as you can, that would be comparable to OASC, whereas run a mile in 5 minutes, well that would be hard. You really can't gauge your own performance in the interview and part 2. Fitness test and aptitudes - different story as there are 'standards'.

However I didn't do brilliantly and my scores for part 2 were at the bottom of the scales needed to actually pass OASC and be put onto a selection board. However it just goes to show that scoring low doesn't mean you're not going to get in.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

hey jade, im sure you will be fine. just stay relaxed and composed and listen to everything the lovely gemmals has said :D . she knows her stuff! just keep at it and be as prepared as you possibly can and that will give you a very good chance of fullfilling your dream!
good luck and if you have naymore questions then ask away. thats what we are here for.
p.s. oh yea if you need any fitness advice i might be able to help as im a personal trainer at the moment till i go into the may iot.

regards
rogue :)
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

jade wrote:hey u guys thnx very much!!! im applying for nca linguist, wat u doin gemma??
Anyone see the irony?
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

I think 'txt spk' is such a widespread problem now that the RAF need Linguists to translate and decipher this strange new foreign language.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

lol rizza, i know what u mean 'bout txt talk it drives me nuts m8! i h8 it when ppl just expect ppl just 2 understand it !!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhh!

rogue

p.s sorry!
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

rogue0809 wrote:lol rizza, i know what u mean 'bout txt talk it drives me nuts m8! i h8 it when ppl just expect ppl just 2 understand it !!!!!!!!!!!!
2 mny vwls n thr m8