Share This Page:

Boots for IOT

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
mathilda

Boots for IOT

Post by mathilda »

Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to wear your own boots at IOT? I have a lovingly broken in pair of Magnums and a history of supination having fractured my ankles. The thought of breaking in another pair of boots in less than 3 weeks really does not appeal! :-?
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Do you do much drill in boots at IOT - if so magnums aren't exactly 'drill boots' and I imagine you'll have to use the issue ones. I've got a pair of goretex pro-boots and I'm going to keep them in the car in the hope I might be allowed to use them for the exercises.

It might not be a good idea singling yourself out to the instructors too early on - I went on a CCF camp as a civillian instructor a few months ago and one of the cadets had a right bug up her a**e about wanting to wear her own stuff - did my head in.

Try and cope with the issue stuff for a while, then once you're on the good side of the instructors, ask about using your own kit.
mathilda

Post by mathilda »

Thanks TJD and Gemma. I'll just have to wait until the fam visit and ask then I suppose. Serves me right for having duff feet!!! :P
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

I'd imagine you'll have to wear what you're given, unless there's a special medical reason for it that's certified by your doctor.

It'll all be in the interests of uniformity.
Slider

Post by Slider »

Hmm. You have to wear CABs unless you have a medical reason not to, and you'll do a little bit of drill in CS95 during the early phases of the course if I remember right. It's not really any worse than doing it in your blues though.

On FLC you can get away with any black "military style" boots; so no hiking boots, but Magnums, Pro Boots etc are fine.

If you have a medical condition, pop along to the docs ASAP at the start of IOT, but time's always short at that stage.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Thanks Slider

I'm going to get orthotic insoles fitted in my boots when I get them. It might be an idea for anyone else - as long as you're willing to shell out 30 quid.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Try this

http://www.yoursole.com

I use them in my scarpas and danners, great bit of kit and helped my knees and shins no end, along with plantar/dorsal flex exercises.

Doc
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Medical Officers are no longer issuing chits for Magnums, they are no longer being issued as the most recent Med Review had deemed them unfit for service! Something to do with recuurrent ankle injuries, flame retardence and the ever present dark cloud of "you're not insured!".
There is currently a very fine line between the MO stamping your FMed 566 "authorised non issue boots" and "not fit to be retained in active service" so anybody wishing to draw this amount of attention to themselves this early in their career should think seriously before pitching up at the Med Centre just because they want to wear Gucci Boots! If you have a genuine need then take your chances the choice is yours!
mathilda

Post by mathilda »

Ho hum.. beginning to wish I had never asked!!! :P Will just have to resort to the good old zinc oxide tape to hold myself together. Absolutely no point in me getting orthotics fitted as I have already been seen by an orthopod and his sidekick podiatrist (not called Tonto) who have said orthotics won't help my condition. Makes me wonder how I got passed as fit by the RAF in the first place!!! :o Thanks folks anyway.
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Mathilda the purpose of my post was not to put you down for wanting to wear your own kit,I've been wearing privately purchased kit since the day I left training 17 yrs ago and still to this day if I think the issue kit is not upto it or there is better out there I have no problem with putting my hand in my pocket!
The point was, why give them a reason to get rid? Wait till you're out of training and life is very different! You will be more than able to wear boots that are suitable to YOU! Where possible never do anything that could attract adverse attention during training!
Best of luck and enjoy your new life!
H_N
mathilda

Post by mathilda »

H_N,
Thanks. I suppose that having admitted up front to all the injuries I have sustained it hacks me off to have to play politics during IOT by not drawing attention to oneself or one's 'defects' (ankles that is before you all get completely the right.. I mean 'wrong' ideas!). I'll just have to play the game I suppose and see what happens. God, I sound like a candidate for shiny kit syndrome already!!!! AAGGGGHHHH :o At my age the list of faults/defects is getting to be longer than the list of the bits that work properly :wink: