Share This Page:

What to Wear??

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
chrisburden21

What to Wear??

Post by chrisburden21 »

Right,

I have recently completed my Fam. Visit and due to start IOT in about 3 weeks. During the visit we were issued with a panphlet titles 'What To Wear'. As you would guess it describes appropriate dress for the various occasions, unde the 'Jacket and Tie' section it says, and I quote,

'In selecting trousers you will never go wrong with a pair in wool (grey, or any hue, is good with a blazer), twill, or smart cotton in summer. Your jacket and trousers should not be the same colour.

So, it mentions you will never go wrong with a pair of trousers in wool, possibly grey!! Is this a realistic option? I recently purchased chinos (very light beige) and a blazer with black shoes (will these be okay? possibly a question for people at Cranwell!!). I cant imagine finding anything to match grey wool trousers.

Cheers

any response would be much appreciated
chrisburden21

Post by chrisburden21 »

Thankyou so much for the reply TJD,

I realised I had made a typo, I had actually bought a pair of warm brown shoes to match the chinos and wasn't going to wear black but thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks again,

Chris.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

hi there, i have also been wondering clothes wise what you should and shouldn't wear. can anyone give a detailed inventory of what is a good dress (not naff) code to have as an officer as im just used to jeans, cat boots and a fleece! no idea where to shop and what to shop for! ahhh
i know ive got a while yet till i go into IOT but would like to have some idea about stuff to get especially around january sales! lol

cheers

rogue
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

right im going to sound a wee bit dim here tjd but what in tarnation are brogues!!!!????????? oh the shame! please could you explain to this very unsophisticated dope what they are exactly. thank you

rogue :oops:
Alex Himself

Post by Alex Himself »

hey, i was unsure what they were also so googled it. 8)

http://www.shoes4thecity.co.uk/acatalog/Brogues.html

very fancy, basically scottish shoes i guess.

alex
Alex Himself

Post by Alex Himself »

i have decided, Albert is my favourite.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 damn there expensive and so bloody fancy! im gonna have to take out a loan to be able to afford all this stuff or go to charity shops and end up lookin like ronald weasley! :D
anyway cheers for that alex

rogue
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Has anyone been given the dress code/list for IOT (in the mess, etc) and if so would you be able to post it on here? (specifically the womens one, although the mens will be helpful to others too)

I know we get given one nearer the time but I don't start until May and I won't be able to find all the clothes I need in just a few weeks (I suck at shopping and am a very awkward dress size).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

I wouldn't worry about getting expensive brogues btw guys - they can't expect you to have boat loads of cash before starting IOT. A pair of brown lace up shoes from Clarkes, for example, would probably be fine.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

she has a point. i know im not racking in bucket loads of cash and they are so expensive. cheers gemma, your sound reasoning skills and advice astound me. i am but a simple peasant in comparison :D
no but seriously, i think it would be a great idea if someone could post this info because i deffinately wanna try and get ahead of the game as i know that january sales shopping could save me a load of a cash.

hey gemma anymore to our may ranks yet, seems a bit sparse at the mo i think. weird how we got put so far back for an iot.

rogue :D
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Hi Rogue - I reckon there'll be loads when the next boards sit.
rogue0809

Post by rogue0809 »

ive been told by a mate of mine that that isn't till january! god that seems ages away for some reason. well i hope we find out soon.

rogue
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

rogue0809 wrote:ive been told by a mate of mine that that isn't till january!
I heard January too - not too long when you consider ours was right at the end of November. Actually, come to think of it - August, November, January - they're all 2 or 3 months apart.

Just be thankful it's not us waiting :wink:
Last edited by GemmaLS on Tue 29 Nov, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.