Share This Page:

Regiment

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Cheers Stu, what I have been doing is the 3 miles first thing monday to thursday, I play rugby so I have club training sessions on a tuesday and thursday night and a match on saturday, then monday, wednesday, thursday and friday doing 40 mins cardio and weights in the gym, then swiming untill i just cant anymore. I have Sunday as a total rest day.

I suppose this does look like too much, but my runs are at 530 - 600 in the morning so i have plenty of time to recover before my gym sessions. Do you think this matters or do you think I may be over-doing it?
skygod75

Post by skygod75 »

are you a bigger build bloke or slight? if your bigger your lumping more timber about so your timing wont be too hot anyway, especially if like you say you have only just started aerobic training. Give it time mate and balance your training to be more areobic orientated. Emphasize endurance/distance training and chuck a speed workout in too. have more rest and you will notice an improvement. you aint gonna lose strength by cutting down on weight training if anything like the saying goes 'less is more'
'Over there you googley eyed tw*t!'
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

I am built big, i need to carry on weight training because of my rugby, i play semi-professional in the front row so i could do with keeping up my weights. Do you reckon it will be a case of sacrificing my rugby training for some training for the regiment?
gr4pilot

Post by gr4pilot »

Wee Willy Winkie wrote:if im understanding that right, your saying its only 1.5 miles to be done in 9 minutes? thats stay very, very quick!!
That's only a 6 min mile pace. Not particularly fast for that distance at all.
Jx ;)
skygod75

Post by skygod75 »

A few of the NCO's on the training staff are well in to their rugby and play for the Regiment team so you will be in good company. Dont stop your rugby training m8 at all! but just keep aiming on cracking that 3mile in 24 minute target. I do weights twice a week using just the big basics and run 3 times. my running training is fairly bog standard I just do 1 long run of bout 10 mile for endurance, 1 medium of about 3-4 mile making sure i get 3 miles in 24 mins and finally ill do either sprint training on the pitch or a short distance fartlek. I test myself by chucking in a bft every now and then and iv got it down from a not so good 12mins to 9mins 45 which im happy with as i know i can keep improving on it.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Good stuff, hope I can score some brownie points with the rugby lads then. I did 3 miles in 25 mins on sunday I was well happy. So it looks like my fitness is comin, just got to work on the weight loss now, I'm weighin in at 18st 9lb at the moment. But I have lost about 1/2 stone since the start of the rugby season. Decided to concentrate in my gym crdio sessions on burnin 1000 calories. I read somewhere that 1000 cals = 1lb, so if I can do that 3 times a week plus any I lose from diet and other training Im looking at maybe 4 or 5 months to shed the weight I think I need. I reckon about 14.5 - 15 stone I need to get down to. What do you think?
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
skygod75

Post by skygod75 »

Big lad then! how tall are you?I dunno if im correct but Im sure as well as there being entry restrictions on lads who are underweight, there are also restrictions on being too heavy. I was about 13stone when i went in but i'll tell you now the wait drops off you because of the phys that you do etc even though you getting fed quality scoff n watered 3 times a day you still slim down and tone up. good to hear your training is coming on just keep plugging away im sure if you really wanted it you could go out there tommorrow and get 23minutes!
Doc

Post by Doc »

hate to pish on your chips but 1lb fat = 3500 kcals.
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Trust him, he's a Doc(tor).
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

I'm weighin in at 18st 9lb at the moment.
Weight, on it's own, has little bearing. Get your bodyfat percentage calculated and then see how much weight you need to lose.

When I joined I weighed 16 stone...but only had 13% bodyfat.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Doc; your killin me here, 3500 cals, Its gonna be a long road!!!!!
Gettin my body fat done at gym tomorrow
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

gazzamanda

Post by gazzamanda »

27mins is bad mate try 16!
alekandr

Post by alekandr »

The 3 mile run during PGAC has to be completed in 24 minutes, as said before you run behind a PTI, and cannot overtake him, he will set the pace you follow him, its 6 times around the two football fields 0.5 mile per round. Dont push to the front, its havoc there and people push you around trying to impress, stay mid back, where you wrong alongside a Gunner giving support.

You will complete the run in about 21 minutes, so target yourself for that, thats what the pti sets the pace at. If you fall back, DO NOT STOP carry on, you have an extra 3minutes to finish, you do not have to finish with the main group.

Standing on the side lines will be a few gunners that have been looking after you, the corporal and sergeant in charge of your stay watching, as well as a few CO's.

The run isnt just a run, you warm up extensively before doing it, I remember a guy getting knackered during the warm up.

:wink:

--------
PGAC Passed September '05
Enlistment April 23rd '06
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Roger, if they run PGAC anything like ours, you will be hooped by day 2 already. As on paper the PGAC phys looks easy, but that's before they throw in fire drills, 10 seconds round that building don't be the last man back, press up position down, up, down, up, down, up, halfway down and hold etc. You do a half a mile warm up lap before the run, and you will be marking time in phys sessions never standing still. DON'T put your hands on the hips. Work hard and good luck.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

alright wannabe_bootie mate, you done ur PGAC then? Have you got a date yet?