Share This Page:

People Lying on forms

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Blackhawk

People Lying on forms

Post by Blackhawk »

HN posted a link of info about people lying on their application forms but this seems to have disappeared in the forum move. On another forum I frequent many many people seem to have the desire to lie on their applications forms, which to be frank, I feel is abhorrent. Does anyone have this link or this information as I would like to share it.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Sorry I havn't got the link but I also don't agree with it... to much, although my mate will be doing it with his air force application for pilot. He seems to think they won't check every application because they get so many, I agreed (is that true or do they check every one?). He is going to lie about his asthema because if a pilot application has this then they are put to the bottom of the pile or rejected. So if it's your dream and you have to lie and may not get caught then it may be worth it, but its up to whoever does it.

Not really any help to you, just thought i'd express my opionion! 8)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, they check every single application. Of course they do. They aren't going to put someone through multi million pound training and not do a full history and medical check on him. If he has suffered from asthema then he NEEDS to declare it. They will find out and he will be in the shit when they do and he hasn't declared it.

Not only that but how does he think he is going to control an aircraft if he has an attack? Not only would he be putting his life at risk but also those around him.

The medical forms are there for a reason and it isn't to disadvantage people. They are the requirements you need in order to effectivly serve. If this bloke does manage to get in then does he really think he will be able to hide his condition for the length of his service? He will have yearly medicals, not to mention a very in depth one at OASC. If he goes to war how will he get his medication?

Part of being an Officer in the RAF is integrity, something that people who lie on forms do not have. If he lies on a form to gain entry and he is found out he will be discharged. Bit pointless if you ask me!

I wore glasses for many years, declared it and still passed my medical for pilot.

Someone on my board declared that they had attempted suicide, they were still accepted for boarding.

If it isn't a bad condition then let an MO decide, they are qualified to do so.

[rant over]
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From Blackhawk's other half, a serving pilot....

I used to work at OASC. They check the full medical records of every single applicant. If there is a condition that precludes you flying, it's there for a VERY GOOD reason.

If you have an asthma attack on a solo sortie in the Tucano, you'll die. If your eyesight is below limits, you'll miss a set of pylons on a low level sortie, and die. If you get hayfever, you'll end up with a burst sinus and eardrum on a descent, and never fly again.

If your friend lies about his asthma he'll never be allowed to serve as anything in the armed forces; he's a liar.

I can't emphasise this enough; GET HIM TO DECLARE EVERYTHING.

It is not his place to decide what's important; it could actually be something that kills him. If he thinks he's suffered from asthma, tick the sodding box and let the doctors decide if it's safe for him to fly.

The rules are not there to cut down the pool of applicants unfairly. If you have a condition which we don't accept for pilots, it's because it's dangerous. If you're a liar, we don't want you as an officer. Tell him to be honest; if it was a very mild case years ago, the doctor will be sympathetic.

I'll say again; I worked at OASC, so pass on these facts.

His application will be looked at, every detail of every application is analysed, and every applicant's medical records are checked.

If he lies, he will be found out, and he will not get in.
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

woh woh woh, i thought you had to have perfectio 20:20 vision, i wanted to fly (not in the RAF though :D ) but thoguht it was totally out of my league as i wear glasses, ivejust had my prescription done, its -3.25 in my right eye and -2.75 in my right, am i eligible????? W.W.W (oh and it just says unaided vision - R 6/60 L 6/60 and aided - r 6/5 NS(or 5? cant read it) and l6/5 NS (5?) cheers)
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I declared that I wore glasses and OASC phoned me. The conversation went like this.

'We noticed that you wear glasses but wish to apply for pilot, can you tell us if you use glasses regularly'

'No, I use them occasionaly for reading but haven't had need of them in over a year. I had my eyes tested and I submitted the forms to the AFCO so I guess you have my results?'

'Yes, if you feel that you don't need glasses and haven't used them for awhile then come and get tested and we'll let you know.'

So I went, got tested and was told my vision was fine and I had no need for glasses.

I submitted eyesight forms to my AFCO every 6 months for a year and a half trying to get pilot. I was always refused. Mine was a case that my optician had 'misdiagnosed' me.

My point was that I was honest and truthful and it paid off. If I had lied they would have just looked at my medical records and thrown me out of selection.

OASC and AFCOs will advise you as to wether you can be tested.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Wee Willy Winkie wrote:woh woh woh, i thought you had to have perfectio 20:20 vision, i wanted to fly (not in the RAF though :D ) but thoguht it was totally out of my league as i wear glasses, ivejust had my prescription done, its -3.25 in my right eye and -2.75 in my right, am i eligible????? W.W.W (oh and it just says unaided vision - R 6/60 L 6/60 and aided - r 6/5 NS(or 5? cant read it) and l6/5 NS (5?) cheers)
hey WWW, really sorry to say but my eyesight's better than yours and I failed Pilot eyesight. But check with your optician and AFCO
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Shall be passing on the message! But the thing I find strange is that it was a serving RAF pilot officer that told him to lie on his application and that they don't check every one as their is so many (this was around 3 weeks ago at a RAF open day). I was present at that conversation so it's not made up... looks as if not all officers have integrity. I'm not saying I think he should lie so don't get the wrong end of the stick or have a go, it's only what I heard.
gr4pilot

Post by gr4pilot »

They do check every one. However, you have to remeber that Doctors have notoriously bad handwriting. So whilst they're checked things can be illegible, for instance, before I applied I asked the secs at my GPs to check to see if I had a diagnosed history of Migraine (or if I just had some bad headaches), she read through and said no. When the GP did a thorough check he deciphed it and said I do have them.

But here's the thing, you could be found out and if you are you will never be in gov't service ever again, on top of the discharge and other potential penalties it's just not worth it. + as BH said, I wouldn't want to be putting my life in the hands of someone who wasn't honest enough to put his/her hands up and say 'hey when I was 10 ...' And as Wzz said the rules are there for a reason, when I was 16 and going on work experience I didn't get my first choice place of 100sqn as somebody had lost control a week before on a low level sortie at a loss of 2 lives. you get the idea.
Jx ;)
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

For those interested here is the original post!

There have been several posts lately on threads for all the services where potential recruits have delared their intention to withhold information( either Medical or Criminal Conviction) when undergoing the application process for the service of their choice. For those wishing to gain entrance to HM Forces, before deciding to withold information or lie or listening to some expert advising you to do so please take note of the following!

61. Any person who, when before a recruiting officer for the purpose of being attested in pursuance of Part 1 of this Act, has knowingly made a false answer to any question contained in the attestation paper and put to him by or by the direction of the recruiting officer shall, if he has since become and remains subject to air-force law, be liable, on conviction by court martial, to the like imprisonment as on summary conviction of an offence against section 19 of this Act or to any less punishment provided by this Act.
( the above extract is taken from the Air Force Act 1955, however the regs apply to all members of HM Forces under their relavant Act.)

In other words if you lie or fail to disclose information in order to join up and the service find out you can go to prison for a period of upto but not more than 2 years.

Even if your application is unsuccessful and you do not become subject to military law you will have committed a civil offence under Sect.19 and can again face upto 2 years.

The moral of the story is, before you decide to bluff or lie your way in think of the possible repercussions and do you really want to start a 22 or more year career based on a lie?

To those genuine applicants who are soon to apply or are somewhere in the process I wish you all every success!

Regards
H_N

The Acts are as follows; Naval Discipline Act 1957, Army Act 1955, Air Force Act 1955
$amantha

Post by $amantha »

If that guy lies about his athsma then they will surely find him out during the medical...if not beforehand when they check his medical records. He definately won't get in then...why would the RAF want to take on someone who lies to them from day one?
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

If, for example, you suffer from hayfever or migraines and have never actually been to the doctor with them, it would probably be possible for you to bluff your way into the RAF. Problem starts when you get a hayfever attack in the middle of your sortie in your Tornado - you are probably going to crash, and you are probably going to die.
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

GemmaLS wrote:If, for example, you suffer from hayfever or migraines and have never actually been to the doctor with them, it would probably be possible for you to bluff your way into the RAF. Problem starts when you get a hayfever attack in the middle of your sortie in your Tornado - you are probably going to crash, and you are probably going to die.
and if you are flying a c130 or such like you are going to be putting the lives of everyone else on board in danger.

honesty is the best policy
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october