Share This Page:

Where do bullets go?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
DLink011

Where do bullets go?

Post by DLink011 »

Just a quick question,

When in flight and firing at enemy, what happens to the bullets that go astray, surely if they fall to ground that is extremely dangerous?

i know its a stupid question. but feel free to let me know.
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

'Lo, EUREKA,' I yelled into the cat, 'Thou art truly laborious and divergent. My nose bleeds for your impending encounter with the front fender of a Mercedes Benz.'
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

What the fark are you on about mate?
you own a merc...? nice, back to the question though............
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Woods nymphs sprinkle your path with bowlings balls while you dance and prowl in the sequined moonlight with leftover heads of lettuce dodging bullets as they fall from the heavens.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

It depends on the calibre of the round, D-Link. Obviously given an infinite scale, rounds would eventually loose velocity and fall to ground. However, ballistic studies extrapolating the action of rounds on a range have actually shown some very interesting behavior. Small calibre rounds (9mm, .22 cal etc) loose velocity quickly, and fall - this is why small calibre firearms tend to be short range weapons. Large calibre rounds such as .50 cal, while having a much greater range, have an arc of travel which deteriorates reverse-exponentially; thus they actually skim the curve of the earth and burn up in the atmosphere.

By far the most interesting finding has of rounds of a calibre, around the .32-20, .32-40 mark - these rounds, given the right path, are on a balance of weight and velocity, so that they actually lose velocity at the same rate as the curve of the earth's surface: thus given a clear path, they actually remain equidistant to the ground, continually circling around the Earth! Of course, the action of the Earth's magnetic field eventually shrinks the rounds' circumference of travel, and they go to ground. Particular note goes to the .32, which is just light enough to operate on the reverse, pulling away from the surface and circling higher into the atmosphere. Obviously this is very dangerous, as such rounds could hit airplanes and so on, thus this make of calibre is restricted to a single firearm (named after this phenomonen the Winchester 'Special'), which is no longer produced, and is in fact illegal in many countries for this reason. Very rarely, these rounds do actually impact with an object, you may have heard of airplane accidents involving the 'Enfield effect', named after the firearms company who discovered the phenomonen.

Of course, since the earth's surface is largely covered by oceans, and the habited areas of landmass are actually a tiny percentage, we rarely ever hear of any of these free-flying rounds actually hitting anything, or falling to ground anywhere important. Many of those which do actually first hit the masonry or steelwork of high buildings, and are never noticed except as a strange sound by someone nearby, or as an unusual hole in the stone by construction workers.

Hope that helped!
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Sarastro wrote:It depends on the calibre of the round, D-Link. Obviously given an infinite scale, rounds would eventually loose velocity and fall to ground. However, ballistic studies extrapolating the action of rounds on a range have actually shown some very interesting behavior. Small calibre rounds (9mm, .22 cal etc) loose velocity quickly, and fall - this is why small calibre firearms tend to be short range weapons. Large calibre rounds such as .50 cal, while having a much greater range, have an arc of travel which deteriorates reverse-exponentially; thus they actually skim the curve of the earth and burn up in the atmosphere.

By far the most interesting finding has of rounds of a calibre, around the .32-20, .32-40 mark - these rounds, given the right path, are on a balance of weight and velocity, so that they actually lose velocity at the same rate as the curve of the earth's surface: thus given a clear path, they actually remain equidistant to the ground, continually circling around the Earth! Of course, the action of the Earth's magnetic field eventually shrinks the rounds' circumference of travel, and they go to ground. Particular note goes to the .32, which is just light enough to operate on the reverse, pulling away from the surface and circling higher into the atmosphere. Obviously this is very dangerous, as such rounds could hit airplanes and so on, thus this make of calibre is restricted to a single firearm (named after this phenomonen the Winchester 'Special'), which is no longer produced, and is in fact illegal in many countries for this reason. Very rarely, these rounds do actually impact with an object, you may have heard of airplane accidents involving the 'Enfield effect', named after the firearms company who discovered the phenomonen.

Of course, since the earth's surface is largely covered by oceans, and the habited areas of landmass are actually a tiny percentage, we rarely ever hear of any of these free-flying rounds actually hitting anything, or falling to ground anywhere important. Many of those which do actually first hit the masonry or steelwork of high buildings, and are never noticed except as a strange sound by someone nearby, or as an unusual hole in the stone by construction workers.

Hope that helped!
PS ...and if you believe that, you'll believe anything. Of course they all fall to ground, it's called gravity. As for extremely dangerous, well it's less dangerous than one hitting you. Though in your case I'm not sure it would make much difference...
Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate »

I have read some studies that if the projectile is fired at a high enough velocity at the right height above the ground then it will continue to circumnavigate the earth forever! They are in fact the smallest satellites known to man.

You may have heard the expression "What goes up, may also come down." This applies equally to morgage rate as to ammunition expended that does not reach escape velocity. Work is in progress, by the Swiss Army (well known for their humanitarian ammunition) to develop ammunition which self destructs after a certain period of time. This is achived by the firer setting a max time to target on the rifle, which communicated to the ammunition, ensures that if the marksman is having an off day then the collateral damage can be limited. For larger calibre ammunition, 105 etc then a command self destruct can be used if the round is observed as a miss.

Hope this helps. If you have any other bone questions please feel free.
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

I heard that a bullet drops with the same speed that it would as if you just dropped it out of your hand. That sounds correct to me, as the laws of gravity wouldn't change just because a bullet had forward momentum. Bullets only fly for a few seconds, depending on trajectory, and will eventually hit the ground at some distance behind your original target. They will lose force/speed over the course of their flight, but I for one wouldn't want to try and catch one!
Sarastro

re: Where do bullets go?

Post by Sarastro »

PPS Asked Sunday School where bullets go, they reliably informed me that good bullets go to Bullet Heaven, and bad bullets go to Bullet Hell.

Unfortunately, they are running out of group Heavens, so the bullets now have to share theirs with the Mormons. Sadly this is not an ideal arrangement, as the bullets tend to zip around and embed themselves in Mormons, which is obviously a very unpleasant experience for the bullet.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I remember in med school watching a 7.62 round been fired and filmed in slow-mo. The round spirals and fragments and becomes crushed, this is what causes such damage when it hits flesh, plus the circumfrence of the spirally vacuum following the round causes further damage and sucks in all the crap that causes infection etc.

Now if that round were to miss from a plane and start to de-accelerate and fall to earth it would continue to spiral and fragment further. So what actually hits the deck isnt alot and unlikely to cause any damage, if anything reaches the deck at all. The slower a round is fired the more damage is done to it during flight.

My suggestion dlink is you stand 2k north of the impact area at senta and see for yourself what happens when an A10 starts to open up.

First time Ive posted in the crab section, but a thread from Dlink is a worthy visit because I tend to laugh so much at this blokes single figure IQ and apparant lack of self awarness.
robbiew

Post by robbiew »

christ ive just realised that it is the same guy who posted about the block capitals bit.....jesus man i just thought this was a wind up but watever it is your smoking quit now of you may end up dead or homeless mate :)

just kidding please dont hit me sir :(
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

yeah someone asked me it and i couldnt come up with an answer,so tried it on here to make myself look intelligent.

And also a lil bit of a ind up :oops:
Artist

Post by Artist »

The Bullet Fairy collects them!!!!! :roll:

Jesus H Christ please try to engage your brain DLink011. Where do you think they bloody go?

Artist
aes69

Post by aes69 »

The armed forces are currently in talks with Callaway golf & Ping. They're developing a battlefield buggy that collects all the rounds that missed their targets, and they'll be put back together with all the brass you collect from your firing point on trg days.

A job for some of our younger members me thinks!
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

Maybe we should delete this post and expell anyone from MF who talks about it! :) :lol: