Share This Page:

Aircrew or Officer?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Emma18

Aircrew or Officer?

Post by Emma18 »

Well, Ive been deliberating wheather to go in as trades or Officer for quite a while and I sat my air crew aptitude tests yesterday. I got enough points to go in to any trade excluding those that need professional qualifications.

To go into the trade that I had decided to would be extremely well timed as I finish my college course in May and the Trade opens in April so I could practically go straight in.

However, talking to staff at the AFCO they suggest that I seriously look into applying as an Officer. I had looked into applying as an Officer previously but thought I wouldn't get in as my maths isnt fantastic, however the staff think I will be fine.

So I don't know what to do, should I apply as Officer, have to wait several months and possibly not get in. OR go in as my chosen trade?

Im so confused, just wondering what others in my position would do!

Emma x
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

If you apply for Officer now, you should be able to arrange a presentation within the next few weeks, followed within a fortnight by your AFCO Interview. That presentation and interview will give you a good idea whether you are competative for Officer or not.

If you are competative, then your paperwork will go to OASC and you should recieve a date for selection within the next 5-6 months. That means you'd be at OASC in Mar/Apr at the latest (fingers crossed).

If you were successful....YAY!

If you were unsuccessful, you could apply for the P3 (airmen) trade the next day at your AFCO.

The timing would be tight, but you could reasonably try your luck with both entries.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

If I were you I'd go for whatever you think you'll be happy with. You want to be in a job which you're happy with and enjoy, don't let the AFCO push you towards anything you don;t want to do!
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

AFCOs don't "push" anyone. The simple fact that most of the trades and branches are full, means that people are competing for places...even to get in as Gunners.

Neither is it simply a case of applying for just what he is 'happy' with. If he simply applied for a Commission, he may well be unsuccessful (most are) and could then miss the opportunity to apply for his second choice - to join as an airmen. A poorly timed application, without listening carefully to the advice given by the AFCO could well mean that he ends up remaining a civvy for the forseeable future.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Well sorry but I see no point in applying for a job that will not be happy with. It's all very well the AFCO saying to apply for Officer, but if it is not what you truely want to do what is the point? If it is, then yes definately go for it, I wish I'd have applied for officer straight off, but that doesn't stop me applying for it within the RAF. As has been said, if you were not to suceed at OASC then you can always then go for a trade.

All I was saying is that you need to go for a job that you are going to enjoy and be happy in, nothing worse than being in a job that you don't enjoy!
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

Emma18 said:
However, talking to staff at the AFCO they suggest that I seriously look into applying as an Officer. I had looked into applying as an Officer previously but thought I wouldn't get in as my maths isnt fantastic, however the staff think I will be fine
Jeremy said:
Well sorry but I see no point in applying for a job that will not be happy with. It's all very well the AFCO saying to apply for Officer, but if it is not what you truely want to do what is the point?
Errr....but she had considered applying as an Officer. IN THIS SITUATION, it is quite possible that she could manage an application for Officer AS WELL AS an application for non-commissioned entry within the timescales necessary. Her other option is to sit idle until April when the trade is likely to open.

Of course, nobody should apply for something they didn't really want to do...that'd be idiotic.[/quote]
Emma18

Post by Emma18 »

Thank you for everyones comments. The AFCO have asked me to go back to have a chat about my options.
Errr....but she had considered applying as an Officer. IN THIS SITUATION, it is quite possible that she could manage an application for Officer AS WELL AS an application for non-commissioned entry within the timescales necessary.
Unfortunately I cant have both applications running at the same time. Altho if I did cancel my air crew one I wouldnt have to do the AST again as I have already done them.