Share This Page:

Wait, wait and more wait

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
m0neypenny

Wait, wait and more wait

Post by m0neypenny »

Afternoon all,

Just got word through that I wont be offered anything for my chosen trade (CIS O/M) until April '06 which is a bit disheartening but understandable with the "streamlining" of the RAF. Guess I just applied a bit too late as I have had my medical, interview and apptitude tests all I would have to do is the final interview.
I have to reply to the letter saying whether I want to wait till '06, look into other trades or stop my application totally. I think I will wait as I dont want to do something for a good proportion of my life that im not totally happy with.

Do you think thats the right decision? Itching to get in and start my career but I dont want to make the wrong decision before Ive even got in.

Anyone else in the same position?

Sorry the post is a bit w@#k just after some advice/insight so i can make the most informed decision.

Cheers
Pete
o.j.m

Post by o.j.m »

I know what you mean, there are lots of us waiting for our chosen trades. I am waiting for firefighter to open for competition.
My opinion, for what it's worth! Is to wait, enlisting for the wrong trade and regretting your choice then being stuck would surely be worse than waiting.
At least there is a date for you to work towards. I have no idea when my trade will open and even though i have a few years left. At 27 time is not on my side. But if you want it wait! or don't!
m0neypenny

F'ing good news

Post by m0neypenny »

Just got off the phone with the AFCO and they have given me a start date of 19th October, How amazing is that??? I was all prepared to be waiting months to join but in no way am I complaining. I just have to get past the final interview now which I hope will be fine. God im so pepped up really cant be arsed to sit at my desk and work would walk out but AFCO said im not in yet which is quite true. Still a way to go, but its brightened my dull friday up no end!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the help up to this point much appreciated and if i get over the last hurdle i'll buy everyone a pint or equivilant ladies drink!

Pete
o.j.m

Post by o.j.m »

Good luck with the interview, let us know how it goes.
m0neypenny

Post by m0neypenny »

Went really well thanks im off to halton on the 19th!!! Guess i was really lucky that I got in this year very thankfull for that!!

Good luck to everyone else in the process, keep on going for it!!

Peter
tonylott

Halton

Post by tonylott »

Halton in winter. You will have a great time..LOL
m0neypenny

Post by m0neypenny »

woo woo, pass out on tuesday. It has been a bit cold, froze my tits off on CPT but it was a good laugh!
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Hi moneypenny.

That's great news - well done.

I'm going through it all in January, so if you have any pearls of wisdom about RTS you'd like to share with me over the next few weeks, i'm all eyes and ears :)

I'd really appreciate it.
kleky

Post by kleky »

wow, a year later and im reading this. Got my final interview for CIS OM in a few weeks. :D

Congratulations moneypenny, i hope the job is going well! Whats it like? What do you ahave in store? I'd appreciate any info :D

Take care!

Ian
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Hehehe.......a year on and i'm reading this and i'm now a Sergeant.

How times change !
Alex Himself

Post by Alex Himself »

hey rizza hows it going mate, cool to hear your a seargent now, well done, dont spose youd mind telling we about your training etc... sounds cool, wish id given WSOp a go, but maybe one day hey.

regards

alex
Alex Himself

Post by Alex Himself »

hey rizza hows it going mate, cool to hear your a seargent now, well done, dont spose youd mind telling we about your training etc... sounds cool, wish id given WSOp a go, but maybe one day hey.

regards

alex
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Rizzarazzu wrote:Hehehe.......a year on and i'm reading this and i'm now a Sergeant.

How times change !
Hello :) So, how much do you miss No.1 mess? Can't believe I'm still going to be here until at least Christmas!

Best of luck for the rest of your training.
Rizzarazzu

Post by Rizzarazzu »

Hi Alex !!

Yeah, it was bloody hard work mate. i failed the course first time round and had to do it again, so that was nice, not!

Got there in the end though. The course was mental - the standard of everything goes up about ten notches from Halton - all your kit has to be prepped in a different way, the phys. ed is so much more harder and frequent and the leadership tests themselves are something else.
Yomping over Otterburn in the p1ssing rain with pine poles on your shoulder wasn't my idea of fun. I would suggest to anyone to try it though - the ten weeks really do fly by, Halton seemed like an age compared to A Sqn. I got my tapes 4 weeks ago now and i've moved onto 'Professional flying Training', although i won't actually be flying until December or January. The first 2 weeks were taken up with Exercise Moortrek - a survival exercise where we were dumped on Otterburn (my second home!) and expected to survive for a week with nothing but a flying suit, norwegian, jumper, jacket, gloves, boots and a water carrier to wear. We had a sleeping bag and a single man liferaft and a poncho to fashion a shelter out of and a compass, a 'go-pack' (a small survival tin, including firelighting eqpt, and other bits and bobs) a map and a packet of boiled sweets. We had no food for the first 3 days, when the staff presented us with a rabbit to skin, gut and cook. We were given a fish the next day and then they slaughtered a live chicken and gave us bits of that on the thursday. Looking back, it wasn't so bad, but at the time it was hell - hunger wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be, but it does sap the energy from you and it was a struggle even to walk near the end of the week.

Anyway, all that fun 'green' stuff has gone now, for a while at least, and it's all theory stuff in the classroom. Maths, Aerospace principles, structures, engines, meteorology, comms, blah blah blah.....

I hope things are good with you mate - you'll have to stay in touch and let me know where you are and what you're doing.I'll be looking on here most weekends when i'm at home.

All the best mate.

Daz

Hi Gemma !!

How's it going ? I can't say i miss No1 mess that much, as that would mean i'd be on A Sqn and i'll never miss that, but i must say the standard of food in No1 is so much better than the Sgts mess. I'll be popping up to the Ward Room to use the IT at some point this week, so i'll say hello if you're about. I've been on TSR just lately but i can't log in anymore as i can't remember my username and password - my account was set up using my old e-mail address so i can't even do the old 'Forgotten your password?, click here' thing as it'll only send the email to my old address.

Do you know anyone at TSR that may be able to help me with this ?

Anyway, you take care, good luck with all, i'l see you about soon.

Daz.
GemmaLS

Post by GemmaLS »

Hey Rizza, I'll get in touch with Blackhawk and see what she can do.

Gotta dash, loads of kit prep to do for IOT5 tomorrow!!!!!