Share This Page:

Accusation of civil offence

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
Mucca

Accusation of civil offence

Post by Mucca »

hello all, i am a serving member of the RN.
i recently had a police officer visit my home and said that i had reversed into another car causing minor damage then driven off without stopping. He said the driver had a witness in the car. i was nowhere near the area at the time, but its got me worried as its my word against theirs, and i'm aware the RN will punish for a civil offence, which may be 5-10 points plus a fine (a guess though). i had to sign a statement saying all this. He eventually left saying it would be sent to the CPS to see if they thought there was enough evidence to prosecute, though he didn't say what for or how long it would take. I am set to be away at least 6 months this year, will this affect it? (I don't want it to).

What are likely civil charges and RN consequences ? - i am on leave and will report it the the RN police when i return.

cheers for (helpful) replies
Hyperlithe

Re: Accusation of civil offence

Post by Hyperlithe »

Surely this can be disproved by the lack of damage to your car, and anyone who can confirm you were in fact elsewhere at the time?
This would need to be properly investigated, it may be that your car reg has been cloned, the person whose car was reversed into got the reg plate slightly wrong, or it was completely made up.

In any case, you won't get into any trouble with work unless you actually get charged. Which seems highly unlikely based on the info you've given us. I would make sure your superiors are aware of what's going on though.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours