Share This Page:

RN CLEARANCE DIVERS

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
EXREG

RN CLEARANCE DIVERS

Post by EXREG »

I'm down at Horsea Island soon for my Pre-Diving tests and would like a heads up on whats required etc.. I served 6 years with 1 PARA in the Army so i'm pretty fit, but would like to know time limits etc.....

Also for any current or ex divers; what sort of monthly pay can I expect once i've passed the course and at the age of 25???

Any help most appreciated.

ADAM.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

No idea mate, but someone will have. I`ve dived Horsea many times and I`d say it is an excellent place to learn how to get wet. It`s unique.
Just don`t kill any jellys :P
PARA going Clearance Diver must be unique too, I`d say.
Good luck to you Tom, if claustrophobia doesn`t bother you, you`ll piss it :wink:
Have you tried the Andrew`s website btw?
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
EXREG

Post by EXREG »

WHAT WEBSITE IS THAT MATE??
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

AC

Post by AC »

Posted this on another site, and you seem to be the same bloke. Anyway, for future reference:

"Here's what happened on my acquaint, the structure could have changed by now but i'm sure the key parts are the same. Basically the PEDA breaks down like this (although the AFCO will give you all the information you need before you go, this should give a little more insight):

It's a fairly intense day, you get a superb breakfast from the cookhouse (I mean GALLEY!) and then you're off for a presentation which teaches you all about the job, the training, future prospects and life as a diver followed by a quick Q and A sesh - always worth asking a few questions as the PEDA is a rare opportunity to talk with the bods doing the job.

After the presentation you get into your PT kit, do a 1km squadded run as a warm up for your DPFT. You need to run 1.5 miles in under 10.30 (I think), but you should aim for under 9.30. Then off to the gym for pull-ups (Benchmark is 8 in a minute) dips (16 in a minute) and sit-ups (40? 45? per minute).

Next is the tour of the DDS. You get to visit the Fleet Diving Units and see what they do, have a look at the kit/photos and get a talk from the blokes. For me this was the best bit of the acquaint.

After lunch you get to see some training in action in the Paisley Tank and we saw some hard-hat diver training in the lake. The DS will then sit you down in a classroom and go through your DPFT scores to tell you what aspects of your fitness you need to improve on (if any). Then it's into the drybags for more phys!

You'll go and draw a drysuit, fins and other bits and bobs from the stores, stick it all on and then do a 1km run down to the end of the lake, at which point you will get into the lake and swim 1km back down. Once thats done, out you get and it's time for more fun.

Water jumps in drysuit and fins. You'll jump from the 3m board intially, and then from the 6m board. Then you'll do circuits where you jump from the 6m board, swim across the lake, get out, run back around the lake, jump from the 6m board again etc. etc.

Can't remember what came after that, but not long afterwards you are once more at the disposal of the gym queens for more running about, press-ups and other associated fun and games. As per the rest of the course, just give it maximum welly. After that you can get some scran and have a kip.

The following morning is simply breakfast, debrief and an individual assessment with a grading system whereby you will be informed of what you need to work on (if anything).

Tips in summary:
Always give your very best
Ask questions
Be prepared (Take a small bag with you, containing notepad and pen, water and PT kit)
Stay switched on
Show them that you are interested, if you are offered the opportunity to do something (try something on, mess about with any kit), go for it.
ENJOY IT!

Right, I need a beer now!

Hope that helps,
Andy"
If it doesn't hurt it's not worth doing!
harry hackedoff

Good post AC, so you`re a Diver then? What`s a TA bod doing at Hornsea one wonders? Or are you in the Andrew now and haven`t updated your profile you lazy person you 8) Fizz in dry bags is easy but, isn`t it :o
Either way mate, top post, well done :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
AC

Post by AC »

Cheers Harry, you got it right - I am "advancing my military career" and joining the Andrew.

The fizz in dry bags should keep me warm during the winter anyway. I'll try and post a bit more about the branch and the training once i've done the course and i'm a 100% bonafide shark wrestler. From what i've heard the 4 day aptitude test after Raleigh is "interesting" :D
duggers19

Post by duggers19 »

Hi mate, I'm going on my aqiant course this monday. Thought I'd tell you get ready to get wet, beasted,beasted, ow and beasted.
If you are determined enough to do something, then you will succeed at anything.
scouse bloke

cd

Post by scouse bloke »

Hello "H". I may be wrong but are you a CD? (it looks that way). If so, (check my posts for reference) my question is do you think I will ever get the chance to become a CD again because I'm totally gutted now I cant (due to age). Do you think they will eventually extend the age limits, or should I start looking at other options?. Furthermore, do you think it would be easy to transfer from another trade?.
I was the oldest guy on my PEDA, and really impressed them by getting the highest pass mark in all the tests on the day (which gut's me even more). In fact, the instructor at the time told me that they had'nt had anyone as fit as me at a PEDA in a long time. I really believe I could be a real assett to the RN as a CD. :cry:
harry hackedoff

Not CD mate, I just love the smell of neoprene in the morning 8)
Getting turned down is tough shit mate. They won`t bend certain rules though and CD is a young man`s game for very good reasons mate, sorry :wink:
scouse bloke

regarding CD application

Post by scouse bloke »

......was talking to my AFCO the other day, and he is suggesting I maybe go for Mine Warfare, because I may be able to transfer at a later stage because apparently this is quite common.
Can anyone confirm this for me? - bare in mind I am now 32, and soon 33. - just how often does this type of thing occur?
- would I be taking a big chance buying into this?
scouse bloke

transfering?

Post by scouse bloke »

I dont want to bore you all but.....

anyone?
AC

Post by AC »

Dude, seriously, don't go for muppet. If you want to be a diver then at your stage of the game you need to do it now, they wouldn't even let you think about sidewards entry into the diving branch until you have served 3 or 4 years as a muppet.

Don't let them talk you into doing a job you don't want to do because you will regret it.
scouse bloke

Post by scouse bloke »

AC wrote:Dude, seriously, don't go for muppet. If you want to be a diver then at your stage of the game you need to do it now, they wouldn't even let you think about sidewards entry into the diving branch until you have served 3 or 4 years as a muppet.

Don't let them talk you into doing a job you don't want to do because you will regret it.
...........makes perfect sense mate.

I think working so close, and alongside the job I really wanted would be far painful too.

(definately gonna swerve that one)