Share This Page:

OSM Afganistan

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
big jar of wasps

OSM Afganistan

Post by big jar of wasps »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether the OSM for Afganistan is still being awarded?
What does it look like and whats the criteria for it?
Has anyone served out there? Whats it like?

BJOW :lol:
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

http://www.no1medals.co.uk/acatalog/t_osmafghan.jpg

Not the best image. It's still being awarded AFAIK, not that you'll be getting one anytime soon, the guys from my unit who went out there at the start of '02 didn't get it until Rememberance '04. I believe the criteria is 30 days continuous service within the theatre.

Can't say what it's like because I haven't been. Of those I know who went some enjoyed it, some didn't.
What do you know about surfing major, you're from god damn New Jersey
big jar of wasps

OSM Afgan

Cheers Adam, it looks like quite a nice one!!!!
big jar of wasps

I wonder given the amount of tours were doing these days in Iraq, Afgan, etc that they introduce a medal similar to the ACSM, maybe the AOSM or AOTM, or is the ACSM medal still being issued in order to cover this?
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

I think the ACSM covers Iraq, NI, and Afghan but not the Balkans.
What do you know about surfing major, you're from god damn New Jersey
big jar of wasps

Cheers Adam, that would make sense. I`m not sure about this new OSM, it seems that you`ll end up with an unlimited amount of medals all the same, but with different ribbons. The wheel is already starting to fall off with the Afgan medal, with and without clasp, and now I`m told its with or without a rosette and or clasp. Not sure if this is true but if it is, wouldn`t an operation clasp name, been a better option, or just one medal, with different clasps, like the GSM. I suppose that its to tell the difference between guys who did bugger all, and those that did. If thats is the case, then they need to review the Telic medal, theres guys out here doing nothing and guys a few miles away getting blown to bits!!!!! :evil:
GD

Post by GD »

big jar of wasps wrote:Cheers Adam, that would make sense. I`m not sure about this new OSM, it seems that you`ll end up with an unlimited amount of medals all the same, but with different ribbons. The wheel is already starting to fall off with the Afgan medal, with and without clasp, and now I`m told its with or without a rosette and or clasp. Not sure if this is true but if it is, wouldn`t an operation clasp name, been a better option, or just one medal, with different clasps, like the GSM. I suppose that its to tell the difference between guys who did bugger all, and those that did. If thats is the case, then they need to review the Telic medal, theres guys out here doing nothing and guys a few miles away getting blown to bits!!!!! :evil:
Bit unfair mate. Even the blanket stackers run the risk of taking incoming when they're in their charpoys. Anybody who has to go into the combat zone is taking the same risks. Bearing in mind of course that the guys at the sharp end are teeth arms and are trained to dish it out a lot more than a crowd of shiney bums.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
joethejudge

Post by joethejudge »

big jar of wasps wrote:Cheers Adam, that would make sense. I`m not sure about this new OSM, it seems that you`ll end up with an unlimited amount of medals all the same, but with different ribbons. The wheel is already starting to fall off with the Afgan medal, with and without clasp, and now I`m told its with or without a rosette and or clasp. Not sure if this is true but if it is, wouldn`t an operation clasp name, been a better option, or just one medal, with different clasps, like the GSM. I suppose that its to tell the difference between guys who did bugger all, and those that did. If thats is the case, then they need to review the Telic medal, theres guys out here doing nothing and guys a few miles away getting blown to bits!!!!! :evil:
Who do you mean by 'the guys out here doing bugger all'?
GD

Post by GD »

I think he means the lazy flubs in echelon :P
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
big jar of wasps

Me and my section have been out here a month now, and boredom is the only enemy where taking in coming from!!!

To quote a film.............

"Everyone thinks that there going to get a chance to punch some Nazi on the nose at Normandy, I used to think that to, but now I see that those days are gone, long gone"

:evil:
GD

Post by GD »

Are you an echelon flub then? :lol:

It can't be easy for you - the beer's probably warm an all?? 8)