Share This Page:

RPG attack in NI. No casualties....

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
sportbilly42

RPG attack in NI. No casualties....

Post by sportbilly42 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7566334.stm

Olympics fever has taken over all the news channels so not a great deal has been said about this attack.... Hopefully nothing more than a bunch of misfits coming across launcher and thinking "Wouldn't it be fun to........." :roll: (Well, they're lying around everywhere over there aren't they, waiting to be dusted off when the time is right....)

Thankfully it didn't go off and nothing more serious than a change of pants required by the police officers involved.

The LAST thing we need is for things to kick off over there again..........
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I'm half Irish (Grandfather was a Southern Irish Catholic), spent a third of my 22 years serving in Ulster and have never understood the violence over there. HMG did make mistakes but there was not one thing worth the loss of a single life.

The Republicans claim everything is the fault of the English, going back 800 years. But the Republicans can't even agree amongst themselves (PIRA, CIRA, RIRA, OIRA, INLA etc). We used to watch bemused, as they spent most of their time trying to murder each other.

I'm not even going to mention the Loyalists!

Nothing much changes. Go to a march, any march and watch another generation of youth lost to bigoted sectarianism.

Never mind, it turned out sunny here today.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

A potential tragedy thankfully avoided by a whisker..

This on a day that the town of Omagh, just a few miles up the road from this incident, conducted a memorial on the tenth anniversary of the bombing... Do these people do it on purpose?

Oh, and a memorial service was conducted in the town...........with Martin McGuinness and his cronies in attendance can you believe!! The BRASS NECK of the man!!

Apparently though, he was invited by the Sinn Fein dominated council, NOT the families, which is part of the reason why most of the relatives didn't attend and held their own service today...

(Quoted from 'elsewhere'):

"The second part is the memorial itself, the families had no input into it's design and were very upset by Sinn Fein refusing to allow the words "murdered by Republican Terrorists" to appear on it. That phrase is on the original memorial which the council has now removed and hidden soemwhere.

Not like Sinn Fein to try and re-write history."
Artist

Post by Artist »

It turns out that some disgruntled chaps and chapesses over in NI still have access to Semtex and RPG's. Best they are sussed, sorted and Rompered ASAP by the likes of Mr Martin McGunniess and his chums.

Odd really as it was stated that all that stuff was handed over to be destroyed circa 2003.

Watch and Shoot say I. Lets just hope that the hotheads from both sides of the divide don't get it into their heads to resume hostilties........As if they would...................I'm Owd and I don't want this crap to rear it's ugly head again. Lost far to many Oppos when I served there.

Artist
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

One of the many problems (as we know) is that not all the kit was handed over. Also the likes of McGuinness and Adams have got their work cut out. They walk a fine line line to appease their own people whilst staying on board with HMG and the Unionist factions. Add to that the issue of there being a dozen or so Republican organisations who are still 'active' (some of whom are former Provos) and they have a very delicate and difficult situation.

I have always maintained that the PIRA/SF leadership has more to fear from their own people than agents of HMG. RIP MIchael Collins!
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

As far as I know this was an improvised device e.g. a PRIG. Its a bit worrying as they have access to comercial explosives and the technology to produce these devices. In the last several months we have had this attack, a big culvert bomb, a UVIED, two CQA's and a mortar.

It will only be a matter of time before they kill a Police officer.
Artist

Post by Artist »

barrybudden wrote:As far as I know this was an improvised device e.g. a PRIG. Its a bit worrying as they have access to comercial explosives and the technology to produce these devices. In the last several months we have had this attack, a big culvert bomb, a UVIED, two CQA's and a mortar.

It will only be a matter of time before they kill a Police officer.
And then we will the return of OP BANNER God Forbid!

Hated going there, I really did.

Artist
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Those being attacked were very lucky. Down to the team involved not knowing how to service their kit. Since then they have used a roadside device with 'add-ons'.

They are actively targetting - did they stop? - and waiting their chance.

As Barrybudden says, its only a matter of time. Threat levels are now higher than any time in the last ten years. Their 'expertise' is growing as they attract more dis-affected players who are fed up sitting waiting for Gerry to become the next King of Ireland.

Hope you've been well, Artist. :wink: