Share This Page:

How to mount my very first gong.

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Dawnie

How to mount my very first gong.

Post by Dawnie »

Just after a bit of advice. I am receiving my Iraq Medal on 23rd of this month and have to have my ribband in place before the ceremony. That doesnt give me enough time to get the station tailor to sort it (only here once a fortnight). Im not too bad with a needle and thread so am just wondering if anyone can tell me how the medal ribband should look when stitched on and how best to tackle it myself. Ive got the ribband and the patience.... I hope. I'd ask the guys at work if I could take a look at theirs but Im on post deployment leave at the moment. If anyone has a photo of one correctly adorned to their No1/No2's then Id really appreciate a PM.

Cheers Guys and Gals
Poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Dawnie

Post by Dawnie »

Oh dear, just re-read the thread title and I was just asking for trouble with that one.........
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

I was about to give you lots of useful advice, then I noticed that it said 'gong' and not 'goat'............
flighty

Post by flighty »

T_T, how's about you starting a ''First Mount'' thread? :o

Goats and everything .... no holds barred! :multi:

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours!

Jayne x

Dawnie, how rude of me. Congrats, Girl!!! :drinking:
Artist

Re: How to mount my very first gong.

Post by Artist »

Dawnie wrote:Just after a bit of advice. I am receiving my Iraq Medal on 23rd of this month and have to have my ribband in place before the ceremony. That doesnt give me enough time to get the station tailor to sort it (only here once a fortnight). Im not too bad with a needle and thread so am just wondering if anyone can tell me how the medal ribband should look when stitched on and how best to tackle it myself. Ive got the ribband and the patience.... I hope. I'd ask the guys at work if I could take a look at theirs but Im on post deployment leave at the moment. If anyone has a photo of one correctly adorned to their No1/No2's then Id really appreciate a PM.

Cheers Guys and Gals
Get it done by your units tailor. Most have them. Or failing that take it to a miltary tailor such as Geeves & Hawks. But this route will cost a bomb so may I suggest you go via your units tailor but failing that surely some Owd Sweat in your unit can help you out?

Artist
Last edited by Artist on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dawnie

Post by Dawnie »

yep I knew it..... I can always count on you guys not to let me down. :D :D
Dawnie

Post by Dawnie »

Get it done by your units tailor. Most have them.
We have got one but he only comes (no more funny comments :roll: ) once a fortnight, hes not here til next Monday and the presentation is the Monday after.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Dawnie wrote:
Get it done by your units tailor. Most have them.
We have got one but he only comes (no more funny comments :roll: ) once a fortnight, hes not here til next Monday and the presentation is the Monday after.
In that case ask an Owd Sweat to help you as I said. They will have it sussed, sorted, and done in the twinkling of an eye! It may cost you a few wets mind. I promise you!

Artist
flighty

Post by flighty »

Once a fortnight?

Lucky bugger!

Jayne x
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

We have got one but he only comes (no more funny comments :roll: ) once a fortnight[/quote]

Must be a married pad then!
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Okay Dawnie,you want the finished thing to be about 10mm wide,sew it onto a piece of stiff cloth/canvas,obviously all the stitching to be hidden on the backside (ooer) of the riband.
I think you crabs have a top pocket on your uniforms!,place the finished article against the seam of the pocket flap centrally over the button.
If you get put on the flank it wasn't me who told you.
You can figure out where to place the beckets yourself!.

SH
Inside leg Sir?.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Blah, blah blah. The goat stuff had more promise.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Get some wonder web, cut a small strip off, place on your lovely blue nos ones, place ribbon on top, apply iron (switch it on first)

Leave for about 15 secs

Go on parade and laugh when it falls off

I bet the RAF environmental dept had a busy time in downtown raghamptonshire.

Doc
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

You bastards :evil: Girl only wanted some advice ffs :x
Dawnie, go down to Office World and buy some Blu Tac 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I always used a stapler, worked a treat. Although it could be a little uncomfortable if you fixed the medal whilst wearing your tunic.