Share This Page:

Hello and Good Evening

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
BigStevie

Hello and Good Evening

Post by BigStevie »

Just a quick intro - my name is Stevie, I am a former member of the Ulster Defence Regiment, full time for six years 1977-1983.

Worked in a lot of different places, member of a few different assocs, but mostly work with NIVA.

Currently trying to gather together any information on soldiers killed in NI whose names are not recorded on official records. This would be for inclusion into all lists and to the National Memorial being planned for the NMA at Alrewas. Also to shake the MOD tree and perhaps make them come clean on any others they 'missed out' in compiling cas lists. Its a daunting task but i am determined to find as many as i can.

Apart from that, I'm a big fan of slagging and intelligent debates - looking forward to joining in and offering something worthwhile to the site. Hopefully.

looking forward to getting to know youse.
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Fifty three views and not a word in reply? should i have filled in a vcp proforma on the way in, or is there a "don't talk to UDR" embargo?

That's cool, thanks for the welcome. Tell me when i have passed positive vetting.
y did i leave

Post by y did i leave »

Ill say good evening to you, i had a good friend from n. Ireland that i met at basic, iv lost contact now though, he was from Omaha.
dont daor
owdun

Post by owdun »

Don't worry, they are all out on the piss. :D :D Welcome aboard,just dig out and join in the banter.You will get slagged off, but nothing nasty.

Aye Owdun. :evil:
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Heyup Stevie, what about ye :wink:

Welcome aboard big man 8)
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Tam527

Post by Tam527 »

Hello. :soldier_thumbs_up:
'Oi', 'You'!... 'Yes You'! Straighten that fu??ing arm or I'll rip it off and beat you round the head with the soggy end!!
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Ah, there is life!

I'm doin' the best Harry, whatabout yersel'?

Many thanks, nice to meet you.

Will hopefully get to know you all better as time goes on, and if i can help anyone out in some way i am happy to do so. Likewise if anyone has any 'nagging doubts' about meself, you only have to ask, but i'd prefer it by p.m., cheers.

And for anyone who is slightly uninformed as to my regiment - the UDR was the largest infantry regiment in the British Army from 1969 to 1992 when we were amalgamated with the wardodgers, sorry, the Royal Irish Rangers.

It was not a paramilitary organisation, despite what some people would have you believe; we all had bad apples. So please no asking if i know Johnny Adair or the Shoukri brothers.

Speak again soon.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Stevie,

Hello and welcome.

One of my good mates in battalion lives just outside Belfast and is very proud of his Ulster upbringing and Northern Irish blood!! And he tells us about it too much aswell!

I also have a platoon of Royal Irish "Rangers" in my battalion at the moment...my platoon got dispanded so they could come to the battalion :evil:

They are all good lads though :)

See ya around
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
JoJo82

Post by JoJo82 »

Hey and welcome, do I shy away from being S.Irish or do I shy away for being the only english in the family?

ahhh fark it, I'm a deacon's daughter, do what I want!
[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~stuart.bowell/jb.jpg[/img]
[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/][img]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev307bf___.png[/img][/url]
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Hey Paratrooper 1, sorry about your platoon getting disbanded - that's a platoon of the 'new' Royal Irish Regiment you have with you at the moment, and you're right, they are good lads.

my 'pop' about 'wardodgers' was directed at the old Rangers, as a lot of people from the mainland who didn't want to come here and serve joined it....mostly in the '70s and '80s.

But they still use the title 'Ranger' today for their toms.

Met a few of your lot at Chessington in 1982....but they were there for real reasons, i was getting over a broken leg. One lad from 1st batt helped me on the road running - i was able to help him in his gym reps. Helped each other 'escape'!

Hope your lads can get through their tour in one piece - sorry to hear about your losses.

God is Airborne.
Last edited by BigStevie on Mon 14 Aug, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artist

Post by Artist »

If your ever around Crossmaglen sometime could you have a shufftie and see if you can find me OG trollies please. I left them on a Farm Gate when changing me Shreddies and Trollies around 0200hrs one Wednesday Morning in the Seventies (I foolishly forgot to pick them up once I'd got me Bits n Bobs sorted out :roll: ).

They should be easy to suss as they had me Chinky Dhoby Mark from the old Bulwark's Dhobyshop on the inside of the left belt. Cheers in advance for the help Stevie.

Artist
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

Yer having a laugh, rite?

Never worked near XMG, and for me to go looking for your trollies would be a bloody death sentance...do you lose many newbies this way? LOL.....

"Ah...excuse me farmer type person, you wouldn't happen to have seen a pair of army-issue trousers, would you? Well have another look would you, there's a laddie...."

Anyway try looking on e-bay, they will likely turn up eventually.....bootie pusser's kit fetches a goodly price...

"..straight from the Falklands, here they are, only £100, still with original skids from Moody Brook...."
Artist

Post by Artist »

Never hurts to ask STEVIE!!! :D

Welcome to the forums. We'em an eclectic bunch really. Serving and served Bootnecks, Crabfats, Matelots and Percies, plus a bunch of lads n lasses keen to join up. Oh and some rather Odd people as well come to think of it.

Just don't ask Harry Hackedoff to show you his photo of himself singing to a tree whilst naked in his back garden. It upsets the neighbours so I've heard!! :D

Artist
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Dead on, yerself Big Stevie. Mine`s a Black Bush :drinking:
Check yer pms :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Tam527

Post by Tam527 »

We'em eclectic are we,eh, Artist.
Use of vocabulary & the English language of the highest order.
Or in Scots - 'We a' gang thigither'.
'Oi', 'You'!... 'Yes You'! Straighten that fu??ing arm or I'll rip it off and beat you round the head with the soggy end!!